Once you create a blog and start writing blog posts, you will receive an email notifying you when a comment is left. However, it’s not just people reading your blog, but internet spiders that crawl the web looking for sites to leave spam comments on. You may receive 100 times as many spam comments as real comments from readers of your blog, and it can be very frustrating.
There is a simple solution!
Your blog comes pre-installed with a great anti-spam plugin called Akismet. It is built by the same people that built WordPress, and it was specifically designed to seamlessly integrate with the blog system.
To activate Akismet, follow these steps:
1. Log into your EV Blog’s dashboard
You will be taken to the Akismet website.
4. Click on the ‘Get an Akistmet API Key’
5. Fill out your email address, username, and password.
6. Enter the url of your blog http://yourblog.myevblog.com
Choose the ‘personal’ plan
7. Slide the slider to the amount you’d like to contribute (free is an option, you can always give some money later if the service is worth it to you)
8. Complete the form, and you will be sent an email with your Akismet key. The key will also be displayed on the next page. Copy the key, and click ‘Go to the akismet page on your WordPress dashboard’ it will take you back to your site.
9. Now click on the ‘I already have a key’
10. Paste in the key, and click Save Changes. Now that your Akismet plugin is setup, you can click on ‘Comments’, and if you have comments on your site, click on the ‘Check for spam’ button. That will scan all your blog comments and automatically delete all spam comments.